Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Glossostigma elatinoides and Dwarf Hairgrass tank - 1 week later update

After 1 week the tank was setup, I decided to flood the plants. But before anything, just see how much the Glossostigma elatinoides has grown in 1 week...


Picture took after setup


Picture took after 1 week, just see how fast they grow...

Now go watch the video update I made, before reading the rest of this blog



Now you have seen the video...here's my opinion to why some of the Glossos grow upwards...

If you find all the facts about Glossostigma elatinoides, you see that Glossos need strong lighting to grow horizontally and that will make a very nice foreground plant. On the other hand, with poor lighting, they will just grow upwards, just like my case.

However, in my case, this little experiment is not about lighting. It's more about the environment they are in. In my opinion, no matter how much light I give, if they are grown emersed, they won't grow horizontally.

For those plant that are slightly cover with water, they will grow horizontally, sending out runners to grow new plants. However, those that are exposed to air, will grow upwards....here's Why..."In my opinion"

I believe water plays a role in the growth of the runners. So for those that are exposed to air, they can't send out their runners, and instead grow upwards. And some even look like a tree, growing branches. That's it...anyway this is just one of my simple observation on this plant, so the simple conclusion :)

Here's a quick idea or reason why I started this project to grow them emersed...
  • to observe the growth behavior (the vertical Glossos might assist me sometime in the future)
  • to setup a Glossos tank different from conventional tank setup
What I mean by different from conventional tank setup is that, with this kind of setup, I'm actually growing the plants first before adding in other decor, in my case, I'm planning to add in some rocks in the empty spot later on. This kind of setup is also more of a step by step process, where once the plant are grown, next will be filling the tank with water, then comes the filter, and so on till animals are added.

So that's a little of what I can say about Glossostigma elatinoides growth behavior. Stay tune to see how much the plant have grown when I update on them next time....Cheers :)

Follow this blog today